We got outta Dodge (Phx) yesterday around 7:30. I rode on the bed for about an hour, then it started to get hot and stuffy in the bedroom. I called Dwight to have him turn on the generator so the roof ac for the bedroom would come on. No generator. So he pulled into the next rest stop and got out to try to start the gen from the outside. After trying for 20 minutes, still no gen. So we went on into Flagstaff in case we needed some starter fluid for it. Dwight and I studied the gen book, codes, etc. he tried a couple more things but no gen. So I had to relocate to the couch which is narrow for side to side movement on the road. At least I was able to get some ac. So it took us twice as long as ng to drive 1.5 hours than normal. When Dwight pulled out of the truck stop parking space, the refrigerator door swung open spewing my two meals of spaghetti, applesauce, and juice all over the place! So Dwight had to repark and clean all that up-about 30 minutes. We decided to at stop at 7:00 for the night in Grants-about an hour west of Albuquerque. After I ate something, I went to bed.
This morning we woke up at 5:30 and I said let's get on the road. We pulled out at 6:00. About 45 minutes toward Albuquerque, someone flagged Dwight to stop. He slowed and pulled over on the side of the road, only I thought we were pulling into a rest area for breakfast. He thought I was asleep so he just got out. After a bit I got up from the bed (cool in there this morning) to see waht he was doing. I looked out the side windows and mirrors but didn't see him. Finally I looked at the back-up camera screen. He was out there changing a tire on the tow car (Forrester)!! I really thought today had to be better! When he was finished, he said the rim was ruined! We hobbled 20 minutes into Albuquerque.
We pulled into the first Walmart-they don't have a rim for our car. We both searched maps for a Subaru dealer-called-they don't have the rim either! We checked a couple auto repair shops and a few tire stores. As it turns out, Big O Tires had a very friendly and knowledgeable guy who said to bring it over I think I have something that will work. So while I'm still in the coach by the tire center at Walmart, Dwight took the car to Big O. After a bit, Dwight let me know the rim would work. Whew! They had to run to another auto part store to get a brake. The Subaru now has 4 new tires!!!
Dwight brought back McDonald's, which wasn't my first choice, but my spaghetti was in the trash. He opened the burger box with "no bun" and it had a bun. We left Albuquerque at 12:30-6.5 hrs later than our 6:00 departure.
We may spend another night on the road so we don't get too tired. I hate to waste a precious night from my 2 weeks off on the road but...
I just want to be home! I tried clicking my heels 3 times, saying, "there's no place like home," but when I opened my eyes, I was still in the coach.
Please support Big O Tires in Monument by Safeway!
1 comment:
The hurdles we jump and the risks we take to get HOME! Someday you might even be able to laugh at these obstacles? Or maybe not...
Love to you both,
Vic & gennie
Post a Comment